This is the first pen I’ve made from a blank I cast myself. The blank is Allumilite with brown resin with brown PearlEx mixed into white resin. The picture here shows a chrome Funline kit, but when it was time for assembly I decided to go with a gold kit to enhance the warm feeling of the blank. Continue reading “First Pen from My Own Blank”
- My mandrel saver isn’t as good at keeping the mandrel concentric as the nut is. So I’m using the nut and live center and getting good results again.
- Finish shaping with 150 grit isn’t working for me. It shapes fine but some of the scratches are so deep that I can run through all the grits and micro-mesh grits without removing all the scratches. I recommend finishing with tools and then going straight to 220 grit.
- Paint your tubes. These pens are so thin that the brass tube is clearly visible if the resin has any transparency at all.
I completed this Funline pen today. This is an Aquabright Light and Dark Green blank. I liked the first blank turned more but I forgot to true the blank and chipped the end when I tightened up the tailstock. There is a slight eccentricity on the nib end of the pen. I believe this is due to the mandrel being too short. The mandrel saver is resting on the threaded portion of the mandrel when two blanks are on installed. I did do the majority of shaping this time with only a single blank at a time. That the blank is still eccentric means i’ll have to do some research and measurement to make sure the lathe and mandrel are in good working order. Continue reading “Gun Metal Funline in Light and Dark Green Acrylic”
This is another Funline pen kit from Penn State Industries. The blank is one of their blue and white Funline Crush blanks. The kit is satin gold. Continue reading “Funline Pen with Blue/White Funline Crush Blank”
Today’s third attempt to turn a funline pen was a fail. I’ll put my notes in here as a learning experience. Continue reading “Third Funline Pen…almost”
Turned my second pen this morning. This time it took me about an hour and a half from start the finish; about half the time of my first. I sharpened my tools before I started and again about half way through. Sharpening made a noticeable improvement in cutting speed. There was also less complaint from the lathe with the sharper tools. While turning the first pen I noticed some vibration or maybe chatter from the blank towards the tailstock side. I’m assuming it was from excessive force while cutting that end. I did not experience the same problem this time.
I turned my first pen. I purchased a variety pack of funline pens and acrylic blanks from Penn State Industries to get started. This is a Funline/Slimline Satin Pearl pen with their Aquabright Purple Crush blank. I took me about three hours from start to finish but allowed me to use some of the tools I’ve purchased over the last two years but hadn’t yet used. I did not take pictures of the process, but I’ll post one of the finished pen. Continue reading “Turning my first pen”
Today I am going to create a bangle or two. I’m experimenting with color swirls in resin. My previous attempt using dye swirled into pendant resin molds resulted in areas where the resin did not cure completely. To remedy the curing problem I’ll try mixing the dye with a bit of resin separated from the main batch. Continue reading “20170506 – Bangle Color Swirl Experiment”
I’m working on resin pendants with color wisps today. Using Alumilite clear and Alumilite dyes. I’m also going to test out two Liquitex alcohol inks. This will be my first pour using these silicone pendant molds from Mtlee that I found on Amazon.com. Continue reading “20170429 – First Attempt with Resin Pendants”
I have some new bangle and pendant molds for resin casting. It doesn’t take much resin to make a bangle and it gives me an opportunity to prototype embedments and color recipes for potential use as turning blanks. I bought two sets for bangles and one set of pendants. Continue reading “Molds for Bangles and Pendants”